Saturday, September 14, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Class size: 4-12 students
Class Age Level(s): 12 and up
Cost: $50.00 register here
Do you have a passion for character design? In this hands-on sculpting workshop, we will transform 2D sketches into a full 3D sculpture using polymer clay. Students will create an expressive character bust (sculpture of the head, chest, and shoulders) based on a design of their choice; initial designs will be provided by the instructor, but students are encouraged to personalize their sculptures to create a unique character of their own. No prior art experience necessary! All materials will be provided.
- Introduction to the basic tools, materials, and techniques needed for sculpting figures in clay.
- Learn how to build a stable armature for your sculpture.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to sculpt a human (or humanoid!) head from scratch.
- Learn about the anatomy and proportions of the human head, and how to adjust the different facial features to create a unique, believable character.
- Boost your own creative process by learning about the works of notable sculptors, both contemporary and historical.
Instructor: John Fabic
John Fabic is a Santa Clarita-based multimedia artist, educator, and avid creature creator. His creative process is fueled by a commitment to learning about the world around him. Since childhood he has been fascinated by films, folklore, and biodiversity. A graduate of San Jose State University’s renowned Animation/Illustration program, he has over a decade of professional experience in painting and sculpture. He is currently working as a freelance illustrator and 3D modeler for the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering.